The INNovation Fund supports projects proposed by nonprofit news organizations that can demonstrate that they advance the economic sustainability of their newsroom.
- Official news release announcing the formation of the INNovation Fund.
- What is the INNovation Fund and other FAQs.
- View archived video of our Google Hangout with INN and the Knight Foundation taking questions on the fund.
- Behind the documentation process of the INNovation Fund projects.
4/15/14 Update: Round 1 Grantees Announced! Read full release here.
Browse all Round 1 grantees and their projects:
- The Food & Environment Reporting Network (FERN)
- Public Herald
- San Francisco Public Press
- Southern California Public Radio
- WXXI Public Radio
7/18/2014 Update: Round 2 INNovation Fund Applications now open. Apply here.
- We will accept grant proposals for around $35,000 but expect grants to average about $25,000.
- Applicants must be nonprofit news organizations.
About the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Knight Foundation supports transformational ideas that promote quality journalism, advance media innovation, engage communities and foster the arts. We believe that democracy thrives when people and communities are informed and engaged. For more, visit www.knightfoundation.org.
About the Investigative News Network
The Investigative News Network is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit membership organization dedicated to advancing excellence and sustainability in the nonprofit investigative and public service sector. INN was founded in 2009 to help the increasing number of nonprofit newsrooms produce and distribute stories with impact, achieve cost efficiencies by pooling resources and develop new revenue streams to become sustainable businesses. For more, follow us on Twitter @INN.
Graphic with permission from the Knight Foundation. From the report Finding a Foothold: How Nonprofit News Ventures Seek Sustainability.